2016/08/02

June/July Wrap-up & August TBR


Hey guys! I'm sorry for the little hiatus I have put on when I was out of town. It's been a month since I have last posted and I'm just gonna start doing it again with the monthly wrap-up!

I would like to tell you guys that I am ditching the TBW list since I am not actively writing reviews on movies anymore. I am going to focus on talking about books and may change the blog name anytime.



JUNE/JULY WRAP-UP




1. The Tailor (The Grisha #1.5) by Leigh Bardugo
I love Genya in Shadow and Bone, so of course I have to read the little novella in her POV. It's heartbreaking knowing the choices she has to make. But really, I am so grateful Leigh Bardugo let us know more about this character.

Rating: 7/10

2. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
CLICK HERE for a full review.

3. The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon
In case you don't know it already, I love The Bone Season. It's one of my favourite books of all time and Samantha Shannon is so good at world-building. I admire this skill she has because world-building is my weakness when it comes to writing. However, this book has kind of let me down as the pace is extremely slow in Part I and II. Only Part III was likeable and it is where the story moves forward quicker and we finally get some answers. Still, I cannot wait for the next book, The Song Rising. I will definitely buy a hardcover this time.

Rating: 7/10

4. 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works – A True Story by Dan Harris
I started this book last fall but haven't managed to finish it until June since I was quite busy in spring. This book calms me. Some people hate self-help books but I don't. I'm glad this one actually teaches me something useful, like how to let go of things you cannot control. Thank you Dan Harris for sharing a lot of his personal experiences to prove the point. Thumbs up.

Rating: 8/10

5. Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Obsidian has always been on my Goodreads to-read list since it first came out, but I'm also always forgetting about it. Last month I finally finished it. It does feel a bit like Twilight so I understand the comparison made in lots of reviews. But I want to point out this is much better than Twilight. The sexual tension between the Daemon and Kat is just...hot. Also, this is the first time I have read a Jennifer L. Armentrout book and I know I'll be reading many more books by her in the future! Love her writing.

Rating: 7/10

6. The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
CLICK HERE for a full review.

7. Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo
I hate to say it but I am not impressed by this sequel. The problem is that Alina is so annoying. I feel like I always love the supporting characters more than our protagonist, and it has happened in both book one and two. I am frustrated. I love how Nikolai is introduced in this book. He was the main reason I continued reading when I was halfway through it. The first book caught me off guard and I love it, but this one is quite a disappointment. I think I'm gonna put the final instalment on hold.

Rating: 6/10

8. A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas
I love this book and am currently reading A Court of Mist and Fury. Basically this series is what everyone is talking about right now! I am so glad it's not overrated and is actually that good. Full review coming soon!

Rating: 10/10

9. The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3) by Rick Yancey
This book is super intense and I still need some time to gather my thoughts so that I can write a review. A full review will be posted soon! Lots of feels.

Rating: 8/10

10. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
I always read Sophie Kinsella's standalones because they are hilarious, relaxing and heart-warming. However, this book is just mediocre. I lost my interest halfway through it since it is pretty predictable, but I kept reading because I do not want to give up on a Sophie Kinsella book. The chapters illustrating the interactions of the family remind me of When You Reach Me, because even though the interactions have little impact on the main storyline, it demonstrates the little things our family does to show their love for us.

Rating: 6/10

DNF: Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die #3) by Danielle Page
It's sad I have decided to stop reading this series. I don't think I am interested in it anymore and the story makes me impatient. I feel like this book should be the finale, not a fodder book. I'm super disappointed, but I will remember how good Dorothy Must Die is forever.


AUGUST TBR


Since I will be quite busy this month, I'm not going to add a lot of books to my Aug TBR list, but these are the ones I will definitely be reading:
1. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas *currently reading
2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling *currently reading
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Yes, I am finally reading the Harry Potter series and I am really excited about this world J.K. Rowling has created!

By the way, I think I'm going to buy a book subscription box for September. I'll post it once I receive the box next month!
SaveSave

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
© Ravishing Tales
Maira Gall