2016/06/06

May Wrap-up & June TBR

It's June, which also means summer is here! I want to start my blog by making a monthly wrap-up and TBR list. Summertime is the best time for vacation and I'm also gonna get a little bit more time to read and binge watch films too.




MAY WRAP UP


1. The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die #2) by Danielle Page
I love retellings and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite fairytales. I've read Dorothy Must Die on the phone and I regret not buying a physical one because it was just SO GOOD and the cover is gorgeous. That is why I bought a physical one for the sequel. However, this book is a disappointment and I guess it suffers from the Second Book Syndrome. It has dragged on and on but rushed near the last part. Anyway, Danielle Page's writing can get you addicted to the story so I'm still going to read the third book, Yellow Brick War, soon.

Rating: 6/10


2. Panic by Lauren Oliver
Panic. Panic. What should I say about this book? It's good, but not great. I think the best part of reading this book is the thrill of each challenge the main characters have to participate in, and that was what kept me on the edge of my seat while turning pages after pages. But I do not like the ending. Sometimes it really frustrates me reading a Lauren Oliver book because she is such a good writer and she always has interesting themes and topics to put in a book, but the ending is never satisfying (for me). Still, if you haven't read any books by her go check out this one or Before I Fall. It's worth your time.

Rating: 9/10


3. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Sharp Objects is not the first Gillian Flynn books I have read but it's the first one I have ben able to finish. I was reaching Gone Girl last summer but since I don't have the habit to go back and read the book after watching the movie (especially when I really like the movie adaptation), so I was only halfway through when I put it down. Sharp Objects is an interesting story. I have to say I have no clue who committed the crime until the end of it. What I like about this book is that the characters and their backstory can make a reader very uncomfortable, but at the same time it keeps you reading so you'll know what happened to them AND what is going to happen to them. If you enjoy thriller I will recommend it.

Rating: 8/10


4. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo
I LOVE IT!!!!! I just really love this book. I gotta tell you why I would suddenly pick up this book. So I have heard that The Grisha is a fantastic series, but I never, I'll say it again, I NEVER intended to read it. The funny thing is I happened to have gone to the library last last week and there they are, the whole series on the shelf. Where I live, it is very rare that they have the whole series, so untouched, so brand new on the shelf in one library. So, I picked up Shadow and Bone, gave it a try, and was totally hooked after reading the prologue.
I am a girl who loves plot twist, and the twist in this one really took me by surprise. I'll do a book review on it in a separate post later.

Rating: 10/10


JUNE TBR


1. 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works – A True Story by Dan Harris
2. The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5) by Leigh Bardugo
3. The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon *currently reading
4. Seige and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo
5. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke *currenly reading
6. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

I need to say that I. AM. SO. EXCITED. about reading a Sarah J. Maas book because a lot of fellow book lovers have recommended her books. I have already read the first few chapters of A Court of Thorns and Roses and I thought to myself,  I HAVE TO ORDER THIS BOOK!!!!! And so I did.


Happy June!

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
© Ravishing Tales
Maira Gall